Tuesday, September 21, 2010

TIFF REVIEW: FILM #44 "Cold Fish"




DIRECTED BY -  Sion Sono
IN MY OPINION - 7/10


Uhmmm. Yeah. This movie is a little bloody. And when I say little I mean very, and when I say bloody I mean disturbing.
The last 15 minutes will surely make this "based on a true story" murder crime thriller a cult hit. It just doesn't end, and as it keeps going it keeps getting bloodier, and bloodier, and more violent and tense and wow. By the time it ends I was just glad to be able to breath.
While it's a little long cold fish does a great job of twisting the tension vice as things slowly get worse and worse and worse. And damn is there an uncomfortable ammount of comedy mixed in with all this sociopathic violence. I almost felt bad laughing as the subject gets darker, but you can't help it. Part of the charm of this murder flick is watching the actor that plays the mass murderer and his over the top hillarious demeanor. It's a great contrast to the reseved, cold fish like performance of the protege.
This movie is not for everyone, but it's a crazy true story and a great horror film.

No comments:

Post a Comment