Friday, September 17, 2010

TIFF REVIEW: FILM #39 "Repeaters"

DIRECTED BY -
IN MY OPINION - 6/10



First off, I was tired and fell asleep before the end of this fairly self contained story, so I know I didn't get the full effect- but I also fell asleep and that can't be too good anyway.
A dark twist on "Groundhog day" repeaters really didn't grab me. I was hopin it would, as it's interesting premise had the potential to stand out against other Canadian features. But it didn't do it for me.
It's not easy getting the audience to get behind flawed characters, especially when they are all dope fiends that appear to have no redeeming qualities except feeling bad that they have to apologize to the love ones they hurt along the way. I wasn't rooting for anyone, which is probably why I fell asleep.
The film also has a very small feel and production was, i'm afraid to say, basically Canadian.
I am waiting for the time Canadian indies stand out and embrace low budgets and get creative with them. As it is parts of repeaters just felt like they were trying to make a movie out of their means, and it suffers because of it.
The idea was sound, and the potential I there, it just didn't pull all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment